“DOING NOTHING”

. Thursday, March 15, 2007

It wasn’t that easy to do what we say “doing nothing”.

Whenever I started doing most of the things in life, I considered myself not enough qualified to do them. But for the first time, I succeeded locating something which, I felt, “suits me”… perfectly my kinda work… “doing nothing” is undoubtedly doing nothing.

“doing nothing” is my new project… my new work… The requirements were clear… indeed very clear. I had to come to my desk… sit for hours… and “do nothing”. Looked very alluring, easy-going. It required no particular domain knowledge, no technical wisdom, no communication skills, and no creativity. What it required was just kill-the-time-without-doing-anything certification.

I was sure I had all the traits for the post… and was somehow OKAY with being a part of the “doing nothing” team.

But then the strive for the work began. Initially it all went smooth. No work no cry. I used to carry the I-have-no-work smile on my face. But gradually “doing nothing” that fascinated me… though slightly, but I admit, it did fascinate me… turned into an albatross. The no-work had so much of load in itself that no work can match up to it.

It isn’t that easy to do what we say “doing nothing”.

People started considering me good-for-nothing figure… for that matter, I myself, considered me as one. My I-have-no-work grin moved to Why-don’t-I-have-work grimace.

But now I think… were the requirements really clear? They weren’t. there were assumptions I had made. I built my own castle on the swamp. And now I know it had to knock down. It was never told I had to do nothing. My team wasn’t named “doing nothing”, not either my project was, and not even my work was to “do nothing”.

It was my perception that I had just one work… “doing nothing”, but I could never realize that “doing nothing” is impossible to do. All these time, pretending doing nothing, I crushed my capabilities. Instead of enhancing my skills, I allowed them to rust.

However, now my Why-don't-I-have-work frown turned into I-work-without-any-work energy 'cuz when I was supposedly “doing nothing”, I had done a lot… I had learnt a lot… and now I feel I have written a lot… and you have read a lot… but remember…

It will never be that easy to do what we say “doing nothing”.

0 comments:

Posts with Fame

Recent Views

Blog visits since 1/10/2008


Detailed one here

Notice Board

The owner of the blog decides on 'No More changes to the blog for few weeks now.' :) and he is happily liking his new blog look and features.

Labels